Friday, October 22, 2010

The Gospel of John

Category: Movie
Rating: 4 stars


Just very quickly: I really love this movie because

- It's basically a dramatic representation of the
entire Gospel of John. Every verse is read, from the first to the last chapter. John is my favorite Gospel, and this movie helped me to appreciate its richness even more.

- I think that the representation of the Lord Jesus was good. The actor was able to show Jesus' personal side, that He was affectionate, enjoyed the company of friends, and shared the pain of others. But, unlike many Gospel films, the movie didn't miss out on Jesus as a strong, firm and passionate
man.

- The special effects were well done in comparison to other similar films. The only Jesus movie I've seen that had better effects was the Passion of the Christ.

- The acting was good! It was such a relief to be able to focus on the Gospel and get immersed in the scene. I connected with the various characters in the story, especially Simon Peter.




My favorite scenes in the movie:

-John 6:18-21, Jesus over the stormy seas. Wow, did I love this scene. The special effects were good, and
for once, I didn't feel like I was watching a college project of this event in Jesus' ministry. It showed the baffling combination of Jesus' gentle and loving nature with His terrifying power. When the Lord wants to do something, it's done. Don't mess with Him. XD

-John 6:68-69, Jesus has the words of eternal life. Jesus began teaching things that the people couldn't swallow. Many of His disciples turned their backs on Him, and Jesus asked the Twelve if they wanted to leave as well. Simon Peter said, "Lord, to whom shall we go?
You have the words of eternal life, and we have believed, and have come to know, that you are the Holy One of God!" Amen.


Considering not only the technical quality of the film, but also the richness of the truth that it imparts to its viewers, I give the Gospel of John two thumbs up!


Where to Get It: Christian book and music stores are a good place to start. I've also seen the DVDs in secular music/video stores.

No comments:

Post a Comment