Thursday, December 9, 2010

Kindle: Makeshift Table of Contents

A sample table of contents, with the
endnotes at the beginning of each item
*Note: since writing this post, I've discovered a better method. Click here to read about it.


In a earlier post I talked about the different formats you can use to make eBooks for the Kindle. I said that AZWs were now my format of choice, but that I had not yet figured out how to make a functional table of contents.


>> How I Use My Kindle >>
>> How eReaders can benefit Christians >>


Well, now I have, in a makeshift way, at least. Here's what I do:
  1. While creating the .htm file (which Amazon will then turn into an AZW), I make a Contents page (don't forget to use "page breaks").
  2. At the beginning of each segment/chapter title I insert an endnote.
  3. I place the entire segment or chapter in the appropriate endnote. (As far as I know, there is no limit to the amount of text you can include in an endnote.)
Following this process won't produce an eBook a table of contents that the Kindle will recognize as such. But you'll be able to use the endnotes links to jump back and forth between your eBook's Contents page and its segments/chapters. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment