Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Resources for Gifts

This year, I'm giving away several books and movies for Christmas.


Do Hard Things - A book that challenges teenagers to move beyond people's expectations for the love of God and people. I gave a copy to my tutee, with a personal note and a Gospel tract. Last year I gave a couple to my History batchmates. (see my review of the book here)


More Than A Carpenter - Still my favorite apologetics resource. It's small, light and straight to the point. I can't seem to find it in bookstores anymore, but I'm giving my personal copy to my brother.


Women of the Bible - I'm enjoying the men's counterpart of this 1-year devotional. It tells the stories of all kinds of women who played a role in the Biblical narratives, for better or worse, and then provides short reflections and applications. Recipient: my grandma.


Mga Mamamayan ng Langit - A little booklet available at Back to the Bible that talks about God, heaven, and how to be with God in heaven. I'm giving copies to our kasambahays, together with Tagalog New Testaments.


Fireproof - An inspirational movie about how Christ can restore broken lives and relationships. This Christmas, recipients are my parents and sister.


Other Movies - To my tito and family, I'm giving three Christian inspirational movies: Flywheel, Facing the Giants and Faith Like Potatoes.


It all turned out to be pretty costly, but just being able to share these Gospel-related resources with people I love is worth the cost this Christmas. But mind you, I don't plan to spend this much every year on the same people. Giving can come in many forms, and to many different people in our lives.


Verses to We Must Strive to Apply
In all things I have shown you that by working hard in this way we must help the weak and remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he himself said, 'It is more blessed to give than to receive.' - Acts 20:35, the Apostle Paul
When you give a dinner or a banquet, do not invite your friends or your brothers or your relatives or rich neighbors, lest they also invite you in return and you be repaid. But when you give a feast, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, the blind, and you will be blessed, because they cannot repay you. For you will be repaid at the resurrection of the just. - Luke 12:12-14, the Lord Jesus Christ

No comments:

Post a Comment