Thursday, June 28, 2012

Riches, Exclusivity, and Alienation

Why should I fear in times of trouble, when the iniquity of those who cheat me surrounds me, those who trust in their wealth and boast of the abundance of their riches? (Ps.49:5-6)

For majority of my life I've lived in an exclusive subdivision, attended exclusive schools, enjoyed a pretty large allowance, and rode in private vehicles. Things are changing for me now that my new vocation puts me on a tighter budget, and I've been reminded once again how deceptive earthly riches are. People talk about being "secure" when they have money, but my personal experience tells me otherwise. It's the rich that tend to live in fear because they try to keep what is surely passing away (1Jn.2:17). They spend so much time and money on securing their possessions that they reject Christ. They have no time nor interest in Him who called upon the rich young ruler to sell all that he had and follow Him (Lk.18). They usually think it's foolish to follow one who said "if anyone would be first, he must be last of all and servant of all" (Mk.9:35) because they like being able to push other people around and get their way all the time. Serving them, sacrificing for them, is the furthest thing from their hearts. Exclusivity breeds alienation--from God, the church, and the rest of the world.

Please understand, Jesus did not condemn wealth per se. Wealth may have a place in the Christian's life, as long as wealth is put in its proper place, that is, in subjection to the absolute demands of Christ over an individual's and a family's life.

As for us regular folk who don't have our own little kingdoms, or any influence to protect us from those who do, we have a choice. We can spend our lives trying to be like them, and then lose it all in the end. That's treasuring what we cannot keep. Or we can spend our lives serving Christ as pilgrims and strangers in this world, pushing on towards the kingdom of God. That's treasuring what we cannot lose.

No comments:

Post a Comment